NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
EFFECTIVE DATE: APRIL 14, 2003
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR HEALTH RECORD/INFORMATION
Each time you visit a hospital, physician, dentist, or other healthcare provider, a record of your visit is made. Typically, this record contains your symptoms, examination and test results, diagnoses, treatment, and a plan for future care or treatment. This information is often referred to as your health or medical record, serves as a basis for planning your care and treatment and serves as a means of communication among the many health professionals who contribute to your care. Understanding what is in your record and how your health information is used helps you to ensure its accuracy, better understand who, what, when, where, and why others may access your health information, and helps you make more informed decisions when authorizing disclosure to others.
YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION RIGHTS
Unless otherwise required by law, your health record is the physical property of the healthcare practitioner or facility that compiled it. However, you have certain rights with respect to the information. You have the right to:
1) Receive a copy of this Notice of Privacy Practices from us upon enrollment or upon request.
2) Request restrictions on my use and disclosure of your protected health information for treatment, payment and health care operations. However, I reserve the right not to agree to the requested restriction.
3) Request to receive communications of protected health information in confidence.
4) Inspect and obtain a copy of the protected health information contained in your medical and billing records and in any other Practice records used by us to make decisions about you. A reasonable copying charge may apply.
5) Request an amendment to your protected health information. However, I may deny your request for an amendment if I determine that the protected health information or record that is the subject of the request:
- was not created by us, unless you provide a reasonable basis to believe that the originator of the protected health information is no longer available to act on the requested amendment;
- is not part of your medical or billing records;
- is not available for inspection as set forth above; or
- is accurate and complete.
In any event, any agreed upon amendment will be included as an addition to, and not a replacement of, already existing records.
6) Receive an accounting of disclosures of protected health information made by us to individuals or entities other than to you, except for disclosures:
- to carry out treatment, payment and health care operations as provided above;
- to persons involved in your care or for other notification purposes as provided by law;
- to correctional institutions or law enforcement officials as provided by law;
- for national security or intelligence purposes;
- that occurred prior to the date of compliance with privacy standards (April 14, 2003);
- incidental to other permissible uses or disclosures;
- that are part of a limited data set (does not contain protected health information that directly identifies individuals);
- made to patient or their personal representatives;
- for which a written authorization form from the patient has been received
7) Revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that I have already acted in reliance on your authorization, or if the authorization was obtained as a condition of obtaining insurance coverage and other applicable law provides the insurer that obtained the authorization with the right to contest a claim under the policy.
I am required to maintain the privacy of your health information. In addition, I am required to provide you with a notice of my legal duties and privacy practices with respect to information I collect and maintain about you. I must abide by the terms of this notice. I reserve the right to change my practices and to make the new provisions effective for all the protected health information I maintain. If my information practices change, a revised notice will be mailed to the address you have supplied upon request. If I maintain a web site that provides information about my patient/customer services or benefits, the new notice will be posted on that web site. Your health information will not be used or disclosed without your written authorization, except as described in this notice. Except as noted above, you may revoke your authorization in writing at any time.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REPORT A PROBLEM
If you have questions about this notice or would like additional information, you may contact me, Tatiana Daughtrey Coffman at 480-788-2898, as I am a one-person business and operate as the Privacy Officer. If you do not believe that your complaints have been handled adequately, you have the right to file a complaint with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. Information about filing a complaint can be found at: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints. I will take no retaliatory action against you if you make such complaints.